Disease attributed to contaminated private water source
As of Friday, the health ministry has confirmed 23 cases of para typhoid in Changzamtok, Thimphu.
The first case was reported on June 21 where three individuals residing in the same building were diagnosed with typhoid and admitted at the National Referral hospital.
After the admission of three patients, Royal Centre for Disease Control (RCDC) was notified about the patients being diagnosed with Salmonella Paratyphi B.
During the investigation, RCDC detected another seven cases from the same building. On June 23, another two cases were detected from the same building.
A report issued by RCDC stated that laboratory testing found out the water supplied from private water source was polluted and the team found out that the building was supplied with water from both private source and the Thimphu thromde.
Medical official said the cause of Typhoid outbreak is due to contaminated private water that was unfit for drinking. He however said the water from the thromde was fit for drinking.
Official also urged to avoid drinking water from a private source immediately in order to control the transmissions and requested to drink boiled water, wash their hands with soap after and before eating, and after going to the toilet.
One of the victims said we were unaware of the typhoid outbreak. One of the affected housewife said she was not aware of the source of the water they had been drinking.
Meanwhile, residents in the locality experiencing symptoms such as fever, headache, stomach ache, and chills and rigors are asked to visit the hospital immediately. The most affected people were students, housewives and employee and all are aged between four to 50 years-old.
The health ministry recommended patients from the locality suffering from above signs and symptoms to visit hospital without delay and avoid using the contaminated private water supply for drinking and cooking purpose immediately.
They also urged to drink boiled water (boil for at least one minute), wash hands using soap before eating or serving food and after using toilet and eat foods that have been thoroughly cooked and that are still hot and steaming. They also reminded the residents to avoid eating raw vegetables and fruits that are washed using the contaminated water